First let me start by telling you just a bit about myself. My name is John G. Fike, CFRE and I'm a fundraising professional with 27 years of experience in the field and over $50 million in funds raised. I have been in my own practice here in southeastern Michigan for the past 10 years and have had about 115 clients through those years. I won't bore you at this early point with all the gory details, but you can find out more by going to www.philanthropysolutions.com.
In this blog we're going to have all kinds of fun. Some of the topics we'll cover are:
--Boards -- why some don't function well
Founders -- what are the causes for "Founder-itis" and how do you know when your nonprofit has it?
--Asking for Money -- why many nonprofits shun this task like the plague and then wonder why they can't raise the money they need
--Annual Fund -- why bother?
--Case for Support -- duller than dull?
...these and a lot more over coming months.
Just to get started:
You've heard the saying "A camel is a horse designed by a committee"? Does your nonprofit's Board exemplify that cliche? A lot of them that I have seen and worked with over the past 10 years certainly have. What's the problem?
Essentially, the heart of the problem is: "Psycho-dynamics."
Boards that don't function well have that condition because it is almost impossible for any group of three or more people who get together relatively infrequently to do any kind of productive deliberative thinking. This is due to the fact that every member of the group has tons of other agenda they're trying to accomplish for themselves personally that simply override any agenda for the nonprofit.
More on this in a while... gotta get going on the day's meetings.
Let me have your thoughts on this and I'll explain why I say the problem is the psycho-dynamics of the group.
JGF for ATF
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I see you have "CFRE" after your name? What is that? ARe you a lawyer?
Post a Comment