As the time for self-expression was at hand, the first to speak was Mrs. Greyson Bear, who said, “Frankly, I’m tired of giving. It’s one thing after another. Everybody needs help, and they all need it today. And I don’t see why there need to be so many of these helping groups anyhow. We’ve never needed this in the past, and I don’t see why it’s helpful now.”
Easter Rabbit, volunteered, “I must say that even though I’m one of the founders of Helping Paw I’m really tired of being asked to donate by all the other groups. It’s hard enough to make a living running a charity, but then to have to give most of what I make away to others doesn’t really allow me to come out ahead.”
But Fleur LeBruin was on the defensive and she rose on her back legs to say, in a rather petulant way, “But don’t you folks see that so much good has been done here in the community since this started? Just about everyone is better off in one way or another.”
To which Gully Seagull chimed in, “Yes, we’ve all benefited in one way or another. I, for one, wouldn’t be in such good financial shape if it hadn’t been for our Animals in Flight organization. It’s kept me off the streets and has given me a new lease on life.”
And Toby Platypus echoed that sentiment as he said, “Life in the forest is better these days and we’re going to make it even better in the years to come. Self-help goes just so far, and then the caring and concern of the community has to take over from that point.”
Elvira Bovine, who had been hanging back in the shadows of the woods, now stepped up to the edge of the clearing and said, in her soft, lowing voice, “I think they should all cooperate, and maybe form just one helping group. There are times in all our lives when we need some sort of helping hand. And in those times it’s really great to receive assistance. But those times don’t come often, thankfully, and we really don’t need quite as much assistance as we have available now. Not when having that assistance available means we have to shell out every time someone asks us for acorns.”
“I think we don’t need so many of these groups,” said Tom Turkey. “There are too many critters going into the charity business. And it’s becoming a business. They’re all getting rich off it.”
Marvin Mouse edged closer to the Council circle so he could be heard more easily. “Why don’t they coordinate their fundraising efforts? It’s too much to have to respond to just everyone who comes by my burrow. Maybe if we could give just once a year, and if there could be some kind of central repository, then that administrative group could parcel out all our contributions to the nonprofits who qualify for assistance. Would something like that work?”
Reggie the deer, sporting a marvelous set of antlers, stepped fully into the clearing. He looked just too magnificent for words, as he said, “Why don’t’ we just go back to our old ways of doing things. Most of us have the skills, the families, the traditions of how to take care of ourselves in times of trouble. We don’t really need these charities around here. And maybe if we needed something, one group would be enough to help out in a pinch.”
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment